Monday, May 4, 2015

The Reason for Silly String

"People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did. But people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou 

*** 

Endings are a strange event. This isn't "THE END" post. That'll come yet. But I believe this is the "end of China" post. I know I've said this, but I mean it. I had kind of forgotten an end would actually happen to this escape from reality. Nonetheless, I had a going away dinner last night. 

Johann and I spent Saturday ... Goodness I don't remember. We did something. Oh! I baked mostly. Johann and Dave made a trip into Liaou for some fruit and veggies. Then we had a spectacular steak dinner at Brian's. The night ended watching Wall-e. I had never seen it. Adorable. I can't believe I've missed out for years. 

Sunday. Packing day. I'm making my strong brother carry the souvenirs. It's working out well. But before all this, Dave and I made a big breakfast for everyone. I was sous chef, which also meant I was in charge of music. I went for the ultimate Pandora station. "80's Throwback/90's Comeback." Thanks to the SEAG crew last year for introducing me to this. It is probably needless to say it was a dance party while making breakfast. Then packing. 

Apparently packing really took it out of me because I took a couple hour long nap. I woke up to a barrage of messages from Brian. "Come downstairs." "Wake up!" "Wakey wakey" I looked around. Everyone had left. Sure enough, in the  middle of the street outside the apartment, base camp had been set up. Ed, Eddie, Brian, and Ryan, (read those names four time fast) and our family were sprawled over the street. Some in chairs, some just on the ground. I brought some more chairs down. And for the next few hours, that's where we stayed. 

Some more people came and went. Ed eventually ordered 12 pounds of crawfish that were delivered in plastic bags. We ate them all in the middle of the street. Brian brought Silly String for every reason anyone ever used Silly String. ... There isn't one except for pure fun. Epic battles followed. Brian also brought over his mouse costume head. For the same reason as Silly String wars. Music played the whole time. Some songs we ... Well, Ryan danced along with. Some songs were sung along with. Some were just played in the background. The sun sunk lower and lower in the sky until finally the smiling faces were lit by streetlights. 







Once darkness overtook, people started going to bed. These people actually have jobs on Monday. I know! I've heard about such things. I dragged Brian to the Yumway. I knew it was my last night with him. So we sat and talked for a few hours. We met Jared there. Jared and I bonded over his music choice of country. Brian was quickly subjected to our singing. Finally, I decided to call it a night early since we had an early train to catch in the morning.


Looking back on this month in China, I've seen some amazing things. I've seen works of art that managed to survive trial and tribulation. I've seen structures that withstood the test of time. Scenery that could impress anyone. But that's not what made this trip amazing. Exploring Yu Gardens in the rain is only exciting when you're laughing about it with your brother and aunt. Playing pool in the upper room of the Boxing Cat is only fun when the people you're with make conversations about politics, Spanish, or March Madness wonderful. Being introduced to little towns in Southern China is only intriguing when you're with friends who are overflowing with knowledge and a caring attitude. Baked fish, rolling dice, Baiju, card games late into the night are only important because of the people you're with. Late nights in Ningbo don't compare to the conversations with a newfound lifelong friend. The Great Wall of China is amazing. But the inside jokes Dave and I now have because of watching a high school group try to climb the wall easily surpass the greatness. The Terra-cotta soldiers are unimaginable and astounding. But I'd quickly trade hours there in exchange for the hours I had talking with Ellen in the mornings over a cup of coffee. Traveling the world with your brother... Man, do I need to say more? Unbeatable. 

I've had some amazing... Fantastic... Phenomenal moments on this trip. But not one of them compares to the people I spent them with. I may forget how certain aspects of the Great Wall looked, or details about the Terra-cotta soldiers, or how cute the pandas are... Okay, not the last one! I may forget those parts, but I won't forget how I felt with the people in China. The world only matters because of the people living in it. Thank you all. You helped make this an unforgettable month. And now? The adventure continues. 

No comments:

Post a Comment